Caregiving can be an emotional rollercoaster and there is often the inclination to forget one’s own needs. Here are some ideas about how caregivers can take care of themselves.
- Ask for and accept help, you cannot do it alone. It can take a village. There are many resources available. Don’t wait until you are exhausted and overwhelmed.
- Information is power. Be proactive, see an elder law attorney, review and discuss finances with a financial advisor; research benefits such as Veteran’s benefits and explore options such as daycare and home assistance.
- Consider your own needs, “put your oxygen mask on first.”
- Join a support group.
- In addition to talking to your loved one’s physician about the needs of your loved one, talk to your physician about your needs and what is going on with you;
- Manage your stress, exercise, get respite and take time for you.